Scalp psoriasis is one of the most common forms of psoriasis, it accounts to almost 50% of psoriasis. It is often observed that scalp psoriasis is mild in nature and causes flakiness on the scalp.
It is a common skin disorder that produces reddish, raised and in most cases scaly patches on the scalp. It can appear as multiple or one patch from scalp to forehead and in other cases behind the ears.The exact cause of this disorder is not known although it is believed to be caused by an abnormality in the body immune system causing the skin cells to grow rapidly thereby building up as patches.
It is estimated that over a half of the seven and a half Americans with psoriasis, which affects any skin part over a half, suffer from scalp psoriasis.Scalp psoriasis can be unnoticeable to mild although in other cases it can be severe and long lasting causing crusted lesions , intense itching and frequent scalp itching may lead to hair loss..
How to Treat Scalp Psoriasis Naturally
There are multiple options available in the market of treating scalp psoriasis, the best option is to use home remedies before seeking medical prescription. Some of the natural methods of getting rid with psoriasis include the use of shampoo for scalp psoriasis.
Aloe Vera pre wash shampoo
Aloe Vera and lavender are known to be the best soothing agents and can expedite the healing process.
· 3-5 drops of lavender essential oil
· 2 ounces of Aloe Vera gel
1. Put two ounces of aloe Vera gel and 3-5 drops of lavender essential gel in a bowl
2. Mix the solution until an homogenous mixture is achieved
3. Apply the mixture to the scalp
4. Wait for 15-30 minutes
5. Wash the scalp with warm or lukewarm water.
Calendula flower rub
You can make a scalp psoriasis rub by using calendula flowers, calendula is beneficial in reducing inflammation and helps in alleviating psoriasis.
· One table spoon of dried calendula flowers
· A cup of boiling water
1. Take one tablespoon of dried calendula flowers and put into heat proof container
2. Pour a cup of boiling water into the container
3. Leave the mixture to cool for 10-15 minutes
4. Rub the mixture into the scalp
5. Massage it evenly on entire scalp
While bathing you can make use of the calendula tea to wash the scalp and many dermatologists recommend that the tea be evenly massaged on the scalp and left for ten minutes. This shampoo is effective in reducing the spread of the disorder and treats the condition naturally.
Now create a scalp psoriasis rinse by mixing 2 tablespoons of lemon juice with one cup of apple cider vinegar. This solution can be used to rinse your hair after you have shampooed your hair with mild baby shampoo in the last step. Finally rinse you hair with warm water.
Olive oil and tea tree oil shampoo for scalp psoriasis
· Olive oil
· Tea tree oil
· Measuring cup
· Application bottle
1. Heat a cup of olive oil to make it warm ,ensure you do not over heat
2. Add 10-15 drops of tea tree oil
3. Stir the mixture properly to achieve an homogenous mixture
4. Pour the mixture to the application bottle
5. Apply the mixture directly into the scalp and ensure that it is evenly distributed.
6. Pay attention to the areas where psoriasis is severe
7. Wrap the head with a plastic bag or a shower cup and wait for 20-30 minutes
8. Rinse the head with warm water.
In summary, scalp psoriasis treatments vary but natural shampoos are the perfect solution to the problem because most of these items natural herbs.